Five simple ways you can get more sleep with a newborn
If there is one thing we all need more of as parents, its sleep! Here are a few things that can help ease you and your newborn into a better, calmer, and more collected sleep environment.
- Sharing a space. Experts recommend sharing a room with your newborn till at least six months. Parents with newborns who share the same room report feeling less anxiety and getting more sleep in those critical first few weeks. A co-sleeper is the perfect way to keep your little one close while providing a safe sleep environment.
- Be prepared. From a bedside diaper station to making sure you're supported for nighttime feedings, every minute counts when you’re only getting a few hours of zzz.
- Noise can actually be the solution. A sound machine is a great hack for helping your little ones get better uninterrupted sleep. The bonus for you or your partner is being able to move about the room/house making light noise that can be soothed away by the sound machine.
- Go Dark. You cannot underestimate the power of a good blackout curtain. Not only will this make your room much more comfortable for sleep but really helps with longer, and calmer daytime naps too!
- Go easy on yourself! Parenting is hard and the transition from no baby to nothing but baby can be jarring. Make sure you rest as much as you can. Get outside for some fresh air. Most importantly, don’t forget to ask for help when you need it.
You’ve got this, we promise!
Images from: @aleesha.thomas & @twinningonfumes